StarUml is an open-source software engineering tool that supports the Unified Modeling Language (UML). It is also called System Modelling Language or Classical Modeling Notations.
It provides several types of diagrams and allows users to generate codes in multiple languages. This expert-level program helps in creating designs, concepts, and coded solutions. It isn’t a simple program.
What is StarUml?
The functionality of StarUml is vaster than it has appeared. It is just not a diagram modeling tool. It supports Model Driven Architecture MDA which makes complex coding possible. This application allows users to create several different diagrams that too in a range of formats.
This program provides code generators, and support plugins and provides an overview of the model before completion.
How to use StarUml?
The method of using StarUml is to choose the type of approach first before starting the project. The types of approaches that are involved in this program are:
Users can also work on the empty page. Even though the project is divided among several developers, it still can be saved in a single file and developers can work on it simultaneously. It shows the clear distinctions between models, diagrams, and views.
- A Diagram contains several elements that present the design iteration
- Views provide the visual representation of the project
- The information about the software design is followed under the Model.
Features of StarUml
The features of the StarUml can be used to design different diagrams and models. It also allows its users to expand its functions with third-party plugins. It can also be integrated with the external tool if that is the preference of the user.
StarUml suggests Object-Oriented modeling capabilities. It supports the diagram types that are given below.
- Use-Case Diagram
- Collaboration Diagram
- Class Diagram
- State Chart Diagram
- Activity Diagram
- Sequence Diagram
- Package Diagrams
- Object Diagrams
- Component diagrams
- Composite Structure Diagram
- Timing Diagram
- Information flow diagram
- Profile Diagram
- Information Overview Diagram
Offers assistance for the Sysmil as well
- Block Diagrams
- Internal Block Diagrams
- Requirement Diagrams
Also supports Legacy modeling notations such as:
- Data-Flow Diagrams
- Entity Relationship Diagrams
- Flowcharts Diagrams.
The verification feature of this model allows users to create and maintain custom templates. It also lets users apply those templates in different ways to the same UML model.
Users can also export diagrams by using some of the features. The formats for exporting diagrams are JPG, WMF, and BMP. it also allows users to generate artifacts, including text-based, PowerPoint, excel, and word.
There are some advanced functions as well that a user can get with this software.
- Users can add several items to their diagram modeling tools. These items can be interfaces, classes, subsystems, component instances, and many more.
- All the elements available in StarUml can be edited to a great extent.
- If the users want to change values and collections then this software also provides the editors for that function.
- Users can also find a variety of plugins for several programming languages.
- With the advanced features of the code generator and reverse engineering function, it is popular among developers.
The interface of StarUml
The interface of the StarUml can be switched between two parts:
The top right corner of the screen consists of windows that allow users to navigate through the contents of the project. This application also supports tabs so the users can open and work on multiple diagrams simultaneously.
The bottom right corner of the screen comprises the options of leaving notes and documents about the diagram. Users can do so by adding some text or an external link to their diagram.
Users can also create wizards that can help them create shortcuts to the diagram they are currently working on. You can access all the operations with just one click.
Pros and Cons of StarUml
Every software comes with advantages but there are also some loopholes in them. These drawbacks can be improved with the new updates.
- It allows users to create designs and codes.
- The best part is that it is open-source and free to use.
- Users can generate codes and diagrams in many languages, and options are available in the app.
- It also supports external plugins.
- Users can also export their diagrams by choosing the more than one format
- It is only designed for the experts and cannot be used by beginners without any professional training.
- No recent software updates have been shown in this software.
StarUml is used to support agile and concise modeling. It is a sophisticated software whose main target is agile and small development teams. It is free to use but to use the new major version you have to pay a little price for it.